Find support for your group
Try the online guides we've recommended below or contact someone for one-to-one advice. Got a quick question? Contact us.
Sample forms and templates for running your organisation
Personal data and GDPR
- Guide to the GDPR explains the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation to help organisations comply with its requirements. It is for those who have day to day responsibility for data protection, and includes a practical checklist.
- EU GDPR - The EU GDPR replaces the Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC and is designed to harmonise data privacy laws across Europe, to protect and empower all EU citizen's data privacy and to reshape the way organisations across the region approach data privacy. Provides key articles of the GDPR, as well as information on its business impact.
- Capacity's GDPR Health Check tool is designed to help organisations check that they are ready for the new regulations. The tool also includes guidance on how to prepare for GDPR compliance.
- The FSI has an excellent updated (2018) range of free resources: Governance, Leadership, Impact, Risk, Partnership, GDPR, Marketing, Finance and more.
- The role of trustees explained by GOV.UK.
- How to recruit trustees - one of many how-to guides from Know How Non Profit.
- Free e-learning courses for trustees from TrustElearning. Hosted by Community Action Suffolk, but anyone can register for free. Approved by the Charity Commission.
- Building effective boards - this resource gives you the latest on policy, guidance and time saving templates. It guides you through the process and makes simple, practical suggestions on how to tackle the work.
Leadership and managing your workforce
The Leadership Qualities Framework from Skillsforcare describes seven elements of good leadership. They also have a range of guides to improve the skills of social care staff and others in the community.
Acas provide advice and training for employers and employees, as well as help with workplace disputes, including:
Building a digital workforce - This free toolkit can help you improve your staff's digital skills.
Responding to change - The Charity Finance Group has produced a briefing on the potential impact of Brexit on UK charities (PDF 367kb) Opening new window.
One to one support
Find your nearest local support for developing groups
Help across Hertfordshire:
Get expert help from these national organisations:
- Volunteer Centres Hertfordshire can help you recruit and manage local volunteers.
- #TeamHerts Volunteering offer a database for Hertfordshire charities to advertise volunteering opportunities.
- Do-it - a national database of volunteering opportunities.
- Reach - Promote opportunities or find individuals with specific skills like accountancy, marketing and IT mentoring.
- Volunteering Matters - a national service that arranges volunteering placements for young, older or disabled people.
- Herts.community - a partnership group that supports and strengthens voluntary organisations in Hertfordshire.